Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Poem: The Mayday Parade

The Mayday Parade
We carve our obsessions
On the backs of living room walls
Then send out our smiles
In the mayday parade.

Carefree and wild,
            The children run and play
On the green
At the scene
            Of the mayday parade.

Don’t you dare tremble,
            Don’t shed a tear
We wave with clenched fists
Grit our teeth in rictus
As dusk settles down on
            The mayday parade.


Author's Note: The first stanza of this poem came into my mind suddenly, but I didn't have any context to put it in so I set it aside. About two weeks ago I ended up finishing it, and found I kind of liked it a little bit maybe. It shares a theme with a much longer poem I've written, the theme of hiding your problems because of pride or fear. I'll leave you to catch the double meaning of "mayday."

No comments:

Post a Comment