Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Fiction: Christmas Pageant Chaos

The children’s Christmas pageant rehearsal was going splendidly so far. Mary had punched Joseph in the nose, they were missing both a shepherd and a wise man, and one of the cows wouldn’t stop crying.

“Um,” the girl playing Gabriel said, raising her hand. “Miss Amy? The brooch on my costume broke and my wings fell off.”

Amy muttered, “Jesus help me,” into her hands, then went to fix the costume.

“It didn’t break,” Amy said. “You just didn’t fasten it to begin with.”

“I did so,” the girl pouted.
  
The toddler playing the cow gave a loud, piercing wail.

“Miss Amy,” Joseph said, “She punched me again.”

“Don’t be such a baby,” Mary replied, and hit him with the Jesus baby doll.

“Please don’t hit anybody with Jesus,” Amy said, and closed her eyes to dream of the scotch waiting for her back at home.


Author's note: At college, I'm part of a small creative writing group that gets together once a week and writes from prompts. This little drabble is the results of a prompt made up of the words "angel, cow, brooch." From my experience with church Christmas pageants, this is pretty accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment