Friday, December 12, 2014

Poem: Hubris

Hubris
Carry my body on a throne through the streets,
Through the filthy asphalt streets.
I can save this rotten, stalecandy city with my words,
My mellifluous words.
Give me a paper!
Give me a pen!
Your city will be safe once again with my words,
Till the words will come no more.


Carry my body on your shoulder through the streets,
Through the broken lifebleeding streets.
My words were not enough on their own,
Two-fifths talent to three-fifths weakness.
Use your sword!
Use your arm!
My pen is broken and my paper is torn
And the words will come no more.


Author's Notes: It's ironic that I titled this Hubris, because I was really full of myself when I wrote it. I toyed with the Shakespearean idea of making of words that seemed to fit, as well as the free verse poetry idea of carefully choosing stanzas to carry an idea and convey meaning. This poem is in a set of a few others that I wrote while trying to come up with something to submit for my creative writing class.

No comments:

Post a Comment