Monday, November 24, 2014

Poem: Fall

A Shakespearean Sonnet: Fall
The leaves in my backyard are turning brown
And all the birds are starting to fly south
Less leaves are on the trees than on the ground
There is a certain dryness in my mouth.
The air is cooling down or cooling off
The wind has just begun to get a chill
And more and more I start to get a cough
I think I’m on the verge of falling ill.

I always get this way when winter comes,
A melancholy hue to my new tone
What happiness I hold must turn to crumbs
And there’s a great old sadness I have known.
But spring will come, just like it always does
And happiness, like flowers, always grows.


Author Note: We return to poetry with another sonnet, this time written for an English class last year. Though I never like writing for a grade, I'm really happy with this poem. It handles the meter better than my first attempt at a sonnet, and has some nice symbolism. I can never go as far into the poem's subject matter as I would like with sonnets, but the structure does work pretty well here.

No comments:

Post a Comment