Friday, November 28, 2014

Poetry: The Sundial

The Sundial
Here in the garden is a sundial,
Stone and cold,
It hasn't moved for fifty years.
I see the old men inside.
They stand on chairs
And raise their glasses high
And yell out,
“Here’s to the good old days!
They won’t come back again.”
Here in the garden is a sundial,
The shadow moves around the sun
But always returns to the same place.
I see their children,
Almost grown,
Outside. And they exclaim,
“The problems my father caused
Are in the past.
We can change and rebuild,
Build a better world than
There was before.”
But here in the garden is a sundial
And when the night comes
It loses its purpose
And falls asleep
To wait another day.
I see the turn of history
On my eyelid backs,
All gears and hearts.
The beginning,
The middle,
The eventual end.
Millions of old men standing on chairs
Millions of children, almost grown, exclaiming,
“We are different from all of time.”
But many gears, hearts, voices later,
Here in the garden is a sundial.
The direction of its shadow has changed,
But it has not and will not
For it is only a sundial
And cannot turn on its own.


Author's Notes: While I hate writing for a grade, I have to admit there's nothing like the pressure of a deadline as a way to get creative juices flowing (as gross as that sounds). The professor talked about including symbolism in poems and identifying a problem in society through poetry. I experimented with some imagery and symbolism here, as well as including dialogue in poetry. I'm pretty happy with this poem, even though it was too long to submit for the assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment